This song has been out for quite some time so most of you have probably heard and forgotten about it. This is one song that should NOT be forgotten about.
Some people don’t think it’s a song but I do. Sure it’s mostly talking with a catchy beat in the back but almost every lyric in the song is inspirational and something to really make you appreciate life.
The song is titled “The Sunscreen Song” by Baz Luhrmann. Baz is actually a film director and the man who directed “Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo Dicaprio. This “song” was actually an article written in the Chicago Tribune on June 1, 1997. The writer was Mary Schmich.
The song quickly became a hit and the lyrics are full of inspiration. Below are some of the powerful wisdom spoke throughout the track.
- Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth
- Don’t worry about the future
- Do one thing everyday that scares you
- Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts
- Don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours
- Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometime your ahead, sometimes your behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself
- Remember compliments you recieve
- Forget the insults
- Keep your old love letters. Throw away old bank statements
- Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life
- Get plenty of calcium
- Be kind to your knees as you will miss them when they’re gone
- Don’t congratulate yourself to much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance and so are everybody else’s
- Enjoy your body and use it every way you can. It’s the greatest instrument you will ever own
- Dance, even if it’s in your own living room
- Do not read beauty magazine as they only make you feel ugly
- Get to know your parents. You never know when they’ll be gone
- Be nice to your siblings. They’re the best link to the past and most likely to stick with you in the future
- Understand that friends come and go but for the precious few, you should hold on
- Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise, politicians will philander, and you too, will get old
- Respect your elders
- Don’t expect anyone else to support you
- Don’t mess to much with your hair
- Be careful who advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it
This advice alone can get you through so much of life. A lot of wisdom in a catchy tune. Not a bad way to get inspired. Check it out on YouTube.